Neurology is a special branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of organic diseases that affect the central or peripheral nervous system. Organic structures related to the field of neuroscience are – on one hand – the brain, spinal cord (representing central nervous system), surrounding structures and blood vessels that feed them – on the other – the cranial nerves, nerve roots and spinal ganglia , peripheral nerves after exit from the spinal canal, including bundles of skeletal muscles (the peripheral nervous system).
The Neurology Cabinet offers the full range of specialist services for patients with neurological disorders.
Consultations are provided by Dr.med. Makk Raluca Violeta, neurologist and Doppler exam specialist.
Affections of the central nervous system
- Vascular diseases: Ischemic stroke and cerebral haemorrhage
- Basal ganglion diseases: Parkinson’s disease
- Neoformation: Brain and spinal cord tumors
- Dizziness: various forms of epilepsy
- Inflammatory diseases: bacterial or viral infection of the brain (encephalitis), spinal cord (myelitis) or their coatings (meningitis), inflammatory degenerative diseases caused by prions, (eg.: CJD)
- Demyelinating diseases: multiple sclerosis.
- Primary degenerative or degenerative diseases: primitive dementias (eg .: Alzheimer’s disease), Huntington’s disease, Tourette’s syndrome, systemic motoneuron disease (eg.: amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), degenerative diseases of the cerebellum (hereditary ataxias)
- Various types of headaches, primarily migraine
- Cranio-cerebral and vertebral-medullary trauma
Diseases of the peripheral nervous system
- Cranial or peripheral nerve disorders: neuropathies, polyneuropathies, neuralgia
- Inflammatory Demyelinating Diseases: Guillain-Barré syndrome, chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (PCID)
- Nerve tumors: Neuroma
- Compression syndromes: radiculopathy with hernias of intervertebral discs (eg.: sciatica spinal), carpal tunnel syndrome
- Diseases of the Neuro-Muscle Junction: Myasthenia
- Diseases of the skeletal muscles (myopathies): muscular dystrophy, myotonia, inflammatory diseases (myositis)
- Nervous trauma